OM.2023.034 - Emilie Lemakis - USA

OM.2023.034 - collage on panel - 8 x 8 inches - Emilie Lemakis - USA

 

Bio

Emily Lemakis Emilie lives and works in New York City. She maintains a studio in Red Hook, Brooklyn and has worked as a security guard at the Metropolitan Museum of Art for 28 years. Her day job has been the source of many of her creative projects, which recently include a campaign for wage transparency, for which she created buttons for her co-workers showing the number of years they’ve worked there and their hourly wage--which elicited a write-up in the New York Times outlining her pathbreaking project as well as her art and life as a Met guard.

Statement

I work in a variety of media because the art I make is about my whole life and the many people, places, and things I encounter that pique my curiosity and imagination. Large-scale drawing, sculpture made from found objects, photography, video, children's arts and crafts, and short performance are all part of my personal arsenal that helps me bring to life artwork that’s in an ongoing conversation with my everyday existence: to make what’s invisible visible--to myself and to others.

www.emilielemakis.com

Comments

Popular Posts